Property Assessment

What is an Assessment?

An assessment is a percentage of the market value of your property against which the tax millage is applied. In Monroe County the assessment percentage (known as the pre determined ratio) is 25%.

What is meant by the term millage?

Millage is 1/1000th of a dollar. To derive your tax dollars you multiply your assessment by the millage. For example: if your assessment is 20,000 and the millage for your district is 80 (20,000 x 0.80 mills), then your tax bill is $1,600.

Who sets the millage rate?

Each taxing district sets its own millage rate every year after it determines how much money it needs to operate.

What are the taxing districts in Monroe County?

There are four: The county, township, library and school. The county, township and library operate on a calendar year basis. The school operates on the fiscal year basis, that is, July 1 through June 30th.

What is the Homestead/Farmstead?

To qualify for Homestead/Farmstead you must be a full time resident of Monroe County and provide two proofs of residency. This is for a reduction in your school taxes only. The deadline for application is March 1 of year year.

Does the Assessment Office collect the taxes?

No. The taxes are collected by tax collectors who are elected every four years by voters within their townships.

When do I receive my tax bills?

The County, township and library tax bill comes out on March 1st and that is for the calendar year; the school tax bill on August 1st and covers the fiscal tax year July 1 through June 30th.

What constitutes my property assessment?

In Pennsylvania land and buildings, or improvements permanently attached to the land, are subject to taxation.

How does the Assessment Office determine my property value?

First a permit is sent to the office by the townships or boroughs. After the improvements are made to a property, a field assessor does a physical inspection of the site and takes outside measurements of the structure. Those measurements along with other features such as fireplaces, bathrooms, heat type and basements are entered into the computer in accordance with values established at the last county wide reassessment.

What happens if a building is razed?

You should notify the assessment office as soon as possible. An assessor will field check to verify the building is down and prorate the assessment for the balance of the tax year.

Are mobile homes taxable?

Yes. Mobile homes are taxable as real estate if they are in any way connected to water, gas, electric or sewer. The land under the mobile home is assessed separately.

Do I have to notify anyone before I move my mobile home?

Yes. You have to obtain a Trailer Removal Permit from your local tax collector. Failure to do so carries a $100 fine.

Why do I notify if I sell my mobile home?

Please notify the Assessment Office in writing with the new owner’s name and mailing address, a bill of sale or a title to the mobile home.

Who do I notify if my mailing address changes?

You should notify the Assessment Office in writing as soon as possible. This is important and should be done as soon as possible. According to Pennsylvania law, you are still responsible to pay your real estate taxes even if you do not receive your tax bill.

What can I do if I feel my property assessed?

You must file a written intention to appeal with the Board of Assessment Appeals identifying the assessment you want to appeal, the property code number and the address you want the Board to send your notice to appear for a hearing. You will receive an Assessment Appeal form which must be completed and returned to the Assessment Office within 10 days.

What is the filing deadline?

If you received an Assessment Change Notice, you have 40 days from the date the notice was mailed to file an appeal. Otherwise, you can file an appeal on or before September 1st for the following tax year.

How much does is cost to file an appeal?

There is a fee of $25 per parcel for residential appeals and $50 per parcel for commercial appeals.

What do I bring to my appeal hearing?

The burden of proof is on the property owner at an assessment appeal. It is important that you provide the Board with pertinent documentation, such as appraisals, comparable sales of similar homes, cost of the construction, pictures of wetland and non-perk data. If an appraisal is used, the appraisal must be submitted 10 days before the hearing date, and the appraiser should be at the hearing to answer any questions about the appraisal.

Home improvements not assessed.

The following are some normal maintenance and repair jobs you can do to your property without increasing your assessment:

  • Painting-outside or inside
  • Repairing and replacing existing masonry
  • Replacing plumbing and light fixtures
  • Landscaping
  • Replacing a roof
  • New exterior siding (except stone and brick)

Improvements that are assessed

For your comfort and resale value you may want to make substantial improvements to your home. The following are examples of improvements that will increase your property assessment:

  • Creating additional living space
  • Renovating an unfinished basement or attic
  • Adding an extra bath, porch, deck or patio
  • Outbuildings or sheds 10ft by 10ft and larger and/or permanently affixed to the ground.
  • Complete modernization and conversion of a home
  • In-ground pool

“It is the policy of the Monroe County Assessment Office to comply with the laws contained in the General County Assessment Law and specifically laws pertaining to Assessment in Pennsylvania Counties of Fourth to Eight Class”

Monroe County Commissioners

John Moyer, Chairman
Charles Garris, Commissioner
Suzanne McCool, Commissioner

Monroe County
Assessment Office
Room 102
1 Quaker Plaza
Stroudsburg, PA 18360

Hours: Mon-Fri
8:30 am to 4:30 pm